So which two stories have been dominating the news
recently? Right! Apple’s iPhone and Hilton’s Paris.
It’s astounding how much they have in common.
Let’s take a look!
- Both are extremely slim, don’t weigh much.
- Not everyone finds them quite as elegant as other offerings, but for different reasons.
- They get press coverage of every little thing that’s known about them.
- News wires run so many stories on them that they’re forced to run a story on how many stories there have been!
- Their songs don’t work as ringtones.
- Both had legal issues, but got off quite lightly.
- Both fit an expensive lifestyle.
- People wonder what it’d be like to use them, despite extensive video documentation.
- They just got released.
- Quite easy to manipulate.
- You feel a pang of embarrassment when friends just keep on gushing about them.
- They’re simple.
And did I mention the flat form-factor.…?
[update 2010] I now actually have an iPhone, it’s works great. Also, Paris Hilton isn’t quite as bad as I make out above, I think she’s actually found quite a clever way of making money. I just hope she enjoys what she does. I still think newswires shouldn’t run stories on how many stories there have been.